Sunday 8 March 2015

A Die in Silva

I awoke the next morning, both knives still impaled in my body and fedora still hidden in the trees.  I stood lethargically, pulling both blades out of my skin and suit, and storing both in my jacket pockets.

"That almost hurt," I muttered to myself, retrieving the hat from the tall tree and putting it on my faceless head.

"These holes in my jacket are unsightly; I should get a new suit," I thought as I began to go to the nearest vendor of suits.  The forest provided a surreal atmosphere as I wandered among the silent sentinels of the woods.

Several hours later I arrived at Sears, ready to obtain new clothes.  I couldn't risk detection, though, so I sneaked around the back of the store, climbed the service ladder, and slid silently into the ventilation system.

Crawling with great difficulty, I eventually found myself over the suits, and, carefully removing the vent cover, peered into the store, seeing, to my relief, no one within sight of my desired suit.  Once I retrieved the suit - a fine, tall suit of a pleasant black colour - I saw, to my horror, a salesperson approaching me.  I did the only thing I could think of to hide:  I hid among the circular rack of suit jackets, hoping that I could remain invisible underneath the various blazers.

After several agonising minutes, the salesperson passed, and I quickly drew myself back into the ventilation shaft, ready to return to the forest and find a new place to settle for the night.

Back on the roof of the store, I considered just staying the night there, before deciding against it, as those eldritch birds which haunt the night sky would surely detect me and close in for the kill.  And besides, it's much easier to hide in a forest when you are often confused for a tree yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment