Sunday 15 March 2015

Contrita Superbia

Browsing the internet for so long allows for many vast, strange opportunities for one such as I.  After a few hours of idly scrolling, typing, and clicking, I noticed an advert from one Jordan Dooling, searching for voice actors for one of his innumerable projects, Topography Genera, I think it was.

"This laptop has a pretty decent microphone, I'd say. Perhaps I could audition for the part."

And with that, I downloaded the script he had available, and began reading over the highlighted dialogue, which I presumed would be mine.  I found the text engaging, I have to say.

After several minutes of reading over the yellow blocks of text and getting a feel for the character, I pressed the record button and gave the work my all, hamming it up like no one could ever hope to match.  I was quite proud of myself once I had delivered the final line, and I knew that I would be the one to work with the quite noteworthy author.

Unfortunately, there was too much distortion.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I bellowed at my laptop, before nearly breaking down into tears at my seemingly wasted effort.  It was quite the crushing feeling to see my hard work crumbling down around me, kind of like a hunter who failed to land a fatal strike against their preferred target.

In an attempt to calm myself down, I decided to pirate a copy of the ever-stellar movie Frozen, which I had never seen up until then.  I had heard the overwhelmingly positive reactions of nearly everyone to the movie, and so was excited to finally experience it for myself.

Needless to say, I was in nigh-uncontrollable tears at how such a perfect movie could have ever been made.  And I loved every second of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment